THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Poem to my cousin who died April 17, 2011


My cousin, Irene, lived most of her adult years imprisoned in a sick body with Lupus, diabetes, blindness from medications, loss of hearing, and various other painful and debilitating physical problems. Yet, she raised her children, was involved in school activities, and was a godly woman. I don't understand a life lived while suffering everyday, but God knows and I know where Irene is and I believe she is running, seeing, hearing, and rejoicing!!! This is just a short tribute to her from my memories.


Irene, my cousin, my friend

Of all the cousins in my life

Your heart touched mine the most.

The helping hand you freely gave

Made you seem so close.


When trouble struck our home

I was barely ten,

Needing a place to stay,

Your family took me in.


A decision they could ill afford

Feeding another kid,

But, in your home I felt safe and warm

So, I was glad they did.


I remember as a teenager,

You stayed with dad and me

You gave advice about a boy

That from him I should flee.


I did not follow your advice,

And married him anyway

The scars from that experience

Still cause me pain today.


I left him when he found another

I was alone with a baby, too

but guess who took us in,

yes, Irene, it was you!


Eventually life went on for us

The years rolled swiftly by.

I watched you face your struggles

But, you kept your head held high.


God gave you love and family

So, you would not suffer alone,

And from the seeds you planted,

A beautiful garden has grown.


A garden of children who loved you

And continue to serve the Lord,

A marriage of fifty years

With a man that you adored.


Your life is a testimony

To the grace and peace of God,

Who kept His arms around you

Through your journey on this sod.


I’m honored to have known you

As a cousin and a friend,

You’re healthy now and dancing

Filled with joy that never ends.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Flo, absolutely beautiful poem. You do have a talent and it is just beautiful. I always love to read what you put on your blog. Take care till we meet again, Nita

Flo said...

bless your heart Nita!!! Hope you guys have a wonderful Easter!! I've invited daughter/boyfriend to church..PRAY!!!